The Crock Pot might make you think of the 70s—and not in a good way—along the lines of neon-green Jell-O-fruit salads, Hamburger Helper casseroles, and other culinary dinosaurs. But the slow cooker is now making a comeback in an old-is-new way, and it’s easy to see why.
There are several good reasons to love your slow cooker:
- You finally know what to do with all that stew meat that comes with your side of beef burgers and steaks.
- It saves you time: Cook once, eat twice.
- It’s easy. Toss everything in the morning while you’re getting ready for work and dinner is served when you walk in the door at 6.
- It’s healthy. You won’t be tempted to reach for a pre-packaged this or that if you’ve got nutritious ingredients already cooking on low.
- The aroma: That amazing, mouth-watering smell that fills the house after a day of simmering.
So get slow-cookin’! You’ll wonder what took you so long to jump on the bandwagon. We’ve got 10 terrific recipes you can try out tonight:
10. Slow Cooker BBQ Beef and Potato Stew
Hearty and super simple to make—just watch the recipe video.
9. Slow Cooker Sausage & Little Potatoes
Creamy Little Potatoes with smoky links, cream of mushroom soup and a dash of Cajun spice.
8. Slow Cooker Garlic and Parmesan Potatoes
There’s nothing ho-hum about this one. The tangy bite of Parmesan, plus nutty garlic, elevates this side dish. Use either seasoned Little Yellows or convenient Microwave Ready little potatoes.
7. Slow Cooker Curry Whole Chicken with Creamer Potatoes
Exotic and flavorful with just a touch of spice, this recipe yields tender chicken with soft, buttery Little Trios in a ginger-turmeric sauce.
6. SLOW COOKER LEMON-DILL TURKEY BREAST AND POTATOES
Just in time for the holidays, use up your leftovers in this savory soup, packed with veggies and seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves.
5. SLOW COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN & POTATOES
Cream of onion soup and mild green chiles make a rich base for seasoned chicken, baby carrots, and Little Reds.
4. Smoky Southwestern Potato and Corn Chowder
Fully loaded, this satisfying chowder features Creamers, grilled corn and peppers, and Southwest flavors—cumin, chili powder, and Jack cheese. Fantastico!
3. Slow Cooker Bacon Cheese Ranch Potatoes
You’d be hard-pressed to find something easier. With only four ingredients, you combine Creamers (Little Reds and Little Yellows) with dry Ranch Dressing, bacon, and cheddar for this zesty dish. Garnish with sour cream, paprika and green onions.
2. Corned Beef, Cabbage, and Potato Soup
Enjoy this Irish favorite on St. Paddy’s Day or any time: salty corned beef brisket with carrots, sweet Little Reds, and chopped cabbage. Peppercorns, fennel, mustard, and cloves flavor the broth.
1. Lightened Up Cheeseburger Soup
Streamlined for modern-day tastes, this twist on the classic combines lean ground beef with Little Potatoes, julienned carrots, celery, and broth. Sprinkle with grated cheddar and prep the night before to save time. Easy!
Read more in our guide No time for meal planning? MEAL PLANNING TIPS FROM THE PROS
WHAT DO YOU LOVE MAKING IN THE SLOW COOKER? WE’D BE DELIGHTED TO SEE YOUR RECIPES.
To get more tips on nutritious eating, plus find new delicious and healthy recipes, sign up for our monthly newsletter. And join the social media conversation! If you have questions, comments or quips, don’t hesitate to get in touch: [email protected].