Roasted little potatoes served with a rich, cheesy vegan chile con ‘queso’. Ready in 30 minutes.
- *Choosing pickled jalapeños: For a mild vegan queso, look for ‘tamed’ pickled jalapeños. (Optional: increase ‘tamed’ jalapeños and liquid to 1/2 cup.)
- Nutrition information is for 1/6 of the potatoes (approximately 10 pieces) and 1/4 cup of vegan queso.
- Vegan queso recipe makes 3 1/3 cups. Refrigerate leftover vegan queso for up to five days. Reheat in a saucepan over medium-low heat and add a splash of non-dairy milk or water to thin (if needed).
- Large bowl
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
Roasted Little Potatoes:
- 1.5 lbs Little Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Vegan Chile Con Queso:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, divided
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapeños and liquid
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese
Make the Roasted Little Potatoes:
Preheat oven to 425 °F.
In a large bowl, stir together halved Little potatoes, olive oil, and sea salt.
Spread seasoned little potatoes on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until Little potatoes and tender and golden-brown.
Make the Vegan Chile Con Queso:
In a saucepan, heat two tablespoons of vegan butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent and fragrant but not browned.
Transfer the sautéed onions, garlic, and butter into a blender. Add non-dairy milk, cashews, water, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
Add the pickled jalapeños and brine to the blended mixture. Pulse to chop the jalapeños. Do not over blend.
In the saucepan used in step one, heat the remaining two tablespoons of vegan butter over medium heat. Whisk in one tablespoon of flour to make a roux. Cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
Slowly whisk the blended cashew mixture into the roux.
Add the vegan cheese to the sauce and whisk until melted.
Taste and adjust seasoning. Makes 3 1/3 cups of vegan queso. Refrigerate leftover vegan queso for up to a week. Reheat in a saucepan over medium-low heat and add a splash of non-dairy milk or water to thin (if needed).