Go green with this creamy, velvety Cheesy Potato and Asparagus Soup.
- Large skillet
- Immersion blender
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter (or olive/coconut/canola oil)
- 1/2 cup (1/2 small) red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 rib) celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 small) carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped
- 3 cups Little Potatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk
Heat butter or oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, asparagus, potatoes, and salt. Sauté, stirring often, for five minutes.
Sprinkle flour over the vegetables, stir, and cook for one minute.
Add vegetable broth and turn heat up to medium-high. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender when poked with a fork.
Use an immersion blender to purée the soup. Add the vegan cheese and nutritional yeast. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until the cheese is melted.
Stir in the unsweetened almond or soy milk.
To serve, top with a drizzle of coconut milk, avocado (or olive) oil, and cracked pepper. Serve with crusty bread spread with vegan butter.