These beef short ribs with fingerlings are made bourguignon style in a pressure cooker. Alternatively, you can cook for four hours in a slow cooker. Fingerling little potatoes are a perfect compliment to earthy mushrooms, tart onions, and rich sauce.
- Pressure cooker or Instant Pot
- 4 large beef short ribs (3/4 to 1 lb each)
- (To taste) salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Dijon style mustard
- 1.5 lbs Little Fingerlings™
- 8 to 12 cremini mushrooms or 4 portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 16 pearl onions, skins removed
- (For garnish) fresh herbs, if desired
Season ribs with salt and pepper and dust with flour. Set remaining flour aside.
Add oil to the pressure cooker and heat over medium high. Add the ribs two at a time and brown, turning often to caramelize. Remove to a platter and continue with remaining ribs.
Reduce heat, slowly add wine and deglaze pan of brown bits on the bottom.
Whisk in remaining flour to blend. Whisk broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme and Dijon until smooth and saucy.
Return ribs to pot. Stir in Little Potatoes, mushrooms and onions to cover.
Set pressure cooker following manufacturer’s directions for 20 minutes on high pressure.
Garnish as desired.