A hearty beef borscht recipe with little potatoes. Throw everything in a slow cooker and allow the flavours to mellow into a satisfying bowl of goodness.
- Slow cooker
- 1 lb lean ground beef or bison
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 lb Little Potatoes
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 to 4 beets, peeled and chopped
- (To garnish) sour cream and chopped fresh herbs
In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground meat with onion, garlic, thyme and paprika until browned. Add to large pot or slow cooker.
Add a little broth to the pan and whisk to deglaze any brown bits. Add to pot or slow cooker.
Add remaining broth, tomato paste, Little Potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and beets.
Simmer on the stovetop for one hour or slow cook for four hours on medium.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chopped herbs.