Our mission at The Little Potato Company is “To Feed the World, Better.”
Because we believe everyone, everywhere deserves to eat good, healthy food. And it all starts with our little Creamer Potatoes – one of the most economical, energy efficient, and highly nutritious food crops available.
We are a dynamic team that embraces diversity and unique differences, holding every employee in the highest regard, while fostering an award-winning workplace where health, safety and fun combine to create an environment where everyone feels like family.
Come join our rapidly expanding company and help us transform the entire potato industry – one little Creamer at a time!
The Packaging Engineer is responsible for packaging design that incorporates innovative ideas with customer needs resulting in functional end-products. Flexibility and operational excellence a must. Role includes new product support and development, packaging sizing, die line generation, internal process improvements, engineering analysis of proposed designs to identify/minimize technical. The role owns the technical management of packaging materials and suppliers. Interacting with all levels of the organization. This position will report to the Director of Engineering and will be based in our DeForest, WI office.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Serve as the technical leader for packaging on new product innovation and renovation (line extension, repackaging, re-fresh and optimization).
- Provide expertise and project support to new product development teams by consulting within areas of packaging materials, artwork and equipment.
- Streamline the development and start-up of new project initiatives by leveraging an extensive knowledge base of packaging materials, manufacturing capabilities, and vendor capabilities.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials, processes, and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of item, special handling, environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials required for packaging.
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation. Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews.
- Optimize packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality, standardization, supply assurance, and compliance with customer, regulatory, and internal requirements.
- Identify and champion packaging projects that lead to improved customer satisfaction, quality, operational efficiencies, shorter cycle time and reduced cost.
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to develop and validate packaging designs.
- Manage and maintain packaging specifications, SOPs, policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure packaging exceeds customer specifications and consumer experience.
- Project management including project development, drawings/specifications, expenditure request project timelines, estimates capital/expense requirements, lead project meetings, and update management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging or Mechanical Engineering; equivalent packaging engineering experience may be considered.
- 5+ years progressive experience in food packaging or closely related work experience.
- Manufacturing experience required.
- Working knowledge of current package testing methods (ISO, ASTM, etc.).
- 6 sigma and lean manufacturing experience considered an asset; Black Belt certification preferred
- Experience with product innovation process.
- Proven track record in leading, developing and implementing packaging engineering activities in a high-growth environment.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Function in a time sensitive environment with rapid prototyping of concepts.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Some travel expected (i.e. Equipment reviews &/or other LPC locations).
Knowledge A Packaging Engineer should have knowledge of supply chain, applicable laws and regulations, the English language, other languages as required, production and processing, mathematics, economics and accounting, relevant tools and technology, customer and personal service, and education and training.
Skills A Packaging Engineer should have the following skill sets: leadership, active listening and learning, ability to work directly with plant floor employees to accomplish goals, critical thinking, analytical thinking, judgment and decision making, reading comprehension, project management, mathematics, time management, presentation, and operations analysis.
SUBMIT YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER
If you’re an innovative Leader looking to transform an industry, we want to hear from you. Please submit your information to us at [email protected]
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.