Rosemary Goat Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 400g fresh goat cheese
- 3 lbs Baby Boomer varietal potatoes from The Little Potato Company
- 1 or 2 small onions, about 1/4 cup, sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for about 1 minute, then add in the flour, rosemary, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another minute.
- Gradually add in the milk, stirring as you go. A whisk helps at this stage. Continue cooking and stirring for about 8 minutes, or until gently boiling and thickened. Add in the goat cheese, and heat through until the cheese melts into the sauce. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Slice the potatoes about 0.5 cm thickness (with baby boomers, or any Little Potato Company varietal, you don’t have to peel them). Grease a 13″x9″ pan and lay about a third of the potatoes down. Sprinkle half the sliced onion, and about a third of the sauce. Repeat layers, then arrange the remaining potatoes over top. Pour the last of the sauce and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350F for 1 hour. Uncover, and bake until lightly browned and potatoes are tender, about 30-40 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe: Cocoa Bean the Vegetable