Cooking with Kids
Selecting Appropriate Tasks and Recipes for Different Age Groups
Cooking with 5 – 7 year olds
Kids at this age are interested in grown-up activities, but may show signs of being picky eaters. Cooking with them can help them warm up to the idea of trying new foods. Try letting them:
- Use simple kitchen equipment such as a grater, toaster, blender switches or can-opener after you show them how to do so safely
- Stir ingredients together (like sauces or dressings, or toss together salad ingredients)
- Slice soft-cooked vegetables, soft fruit, cheese or tofu with a plastic or child-safe knife
- Cook with a friend for a fun play date
Try making our Smashed Potato Pizza – kids can help smash and place the pre-cut ingredient toppings.
Cooking with 8 – 10 year olds
At this age, kids can follow simple steps for recipes. Try letting your kids:
- Use the microwave, with your help
- Stir dishes on the stove to prevent sticking
- Add some of their favorite healthy ingredients (e.g. fruits, vegetables, seeds or nuts) to a dish, such as a salad
- Help select what recipe you’ll make together
- Write out a grocery list
Try our Bacon Wrapped Creamer Potatoes – they are delicious! Kids can help to mix and lay our little potatoes on a baking tray.
Cooking with 11 – 13 year olds
Kids at this age understand how to use appliances safely and are usually more adventurous in trying new flavors and textures. They can:
- Use the stove on their own to make basic recipes: omelets, frittatas, pancakes, quesadillas, soups or grilled sandwiches
- Decide what healthy meal they would like to prepare and write a shopping list of ingredients
- Depending on their level of experience, improvise and substitute ingredients in a recipe
- Choose what is needed to balance out a meal so it has food from each food group, based on the Canada Food Guide
Try making our Potato Skins recipe, using our Blushing Belles for a fun family appetizer or side dish. Potato skins are loved by all!
If you’re ready to cook with your Little Chefs, we invite you to enter our 2017 Little Chef competition. Learn more here!