Learning and fun
Why cook with kids?
Cooking is educational and fun! Show them that healthy, foods and meals can be planned, prepared and served in a limited time, and that it’s fun and rewarding. If your kids get cooking now, chances are they will continue this good habit as they grow older.
You can share family traditions and stories or recipes while you cook. Start off with simple and fun recipes, then work your way up to old family favorites, such as Grandma’s famous potato salad. Or, invite them to create some of their own to cheer about with the entire family.
How to make cooking with kids fun and safe:
- Be safe. Teach kids how to use sharp tools safely, the dangers of hot stoves and ovens and always watch them.
- Be clean. Teach your kids why, how and when to wash their hands and kitchen surfaces thoroughly to ensure a truly healthy experience.
- Keep it simple. Choose recipes that are appropriate for kids. To find Little Chef Approved recipes for our Creamers, visit Recipe Central and search for Little Chef Approved recipes.
- Don’t rush. Allow a little more time than you would normally.
- Be creative: Allow kids to pick a new vegetable. Try cutting them into interesting shapes or use colorful foods like our Something Blue Creamers.
- Show them: then step back so they learn by doing. If they’re struggling, ask if they want help.
- Think like a kid: Create a kid-friendly kitchen so kids can work more easily. Add a sturdy stool to stand on or a drawer with utensils just for them.