To celebrate our favorite holiday of the year, National Potato Day, we conducted a little survey (of 1,000 people), and it’s no surprise that potatoes came out on top, ranking as America’s number one comfort food of choice. Whether you enjoy our Creamer of the crop roasted or smashed, we’re not the only ones who can’t get enough of this tasty vegetable!
Dropping ‘Tater Knowledge
- 1/4 of Americans don’t know that Creamer potatoes are vegetables.
- Nearly 20% of Americans don’t know that Creamer potatoes are nutritious!
- Only 19% of Americans have heard of Creamer potatoes, but they are highly nutritious, fully mature – not baby traditional potatoes – and naturally delicious small specialty potatoes.
America’s Comfort Food of Choice
- Over half (55%) of Americans say potatoes are their comfort food of choice, beating out pizza (21%), mac and cheese (15%) and pasta (9%).
- Mashed potatoes are America’s favorite ways to eat potatoes. Check out some of our favorite mashed potato recipes
- 1 in 4 Millennials would give up cheeseburgers if it meant they had to choose between it or potatoes. (Secret tip: we have both in one recipe though! Try our cheeseburger slow cooker soup)
Potato Habits 101
- Nearly half (49%) of Americans eat potatoes a few times a week.
- Dinner is the most popular meal for Americans to eat potatoes (67%). The least popular? Brunch (4%). Let’s give brunch potato recipes some more love!
- Roasting potatoes is America’s preferred way to cook potatoes (50%). Microwaving ranks as the third most preferred way to cook potatoes (12%). Microwaving is a healthy way to steam vegetables; read our Microwave 101 to learn how Creamers are ready in just 5 minutes!
- Potatoes are the perfect pairing – 80% of Americans eat potatoes as a side dish. Try our new fully cooked and pre-seasoned Creamer potatoes, crispy in 7 minutes!
- Butter is America’s preferred potato topping, with 40% of people slathering it on.
Team French Fries vs Team Mashed Potatoes
- Younger generations (Millennials/Gen Z) prefer their potatoes in the form of French fries (32%) while older generations opt for mashed potatoes (35%).
In a Potato Holiday-daze
- More people (75%) will eat potatoes during the holidays than at any other time of the year.
- 68% of Americans plan on eating potatoes on Labor Day.
For even more potato recipes and inspiration to celebrate National Potato Day, check out our Recipe Center!
*Survey of 1,086 Americans who have eaten potatoes at least in the past year by Survey Monkey for The Little Potato Company