Do you love lists? Either way, the truth is lists can save your bacon, especially a Christmas dinner checklist. When it comes to something as elaborate and high-pressure as a Christmas family dinner, there are a lot of moving parts and X factors, AKA opportunities for disaster. So what is the antidote? A solid list. Because even the most conscientious cook can forget to order the turkey. It happens.
So even if you’re not a “list person,” consider this handy traditional Christmas dinner round-up of the essentials you need to put it all together. Happy celebrating!
- Hors d’oeuvres (try making our Potato Bacon Mini Tarts)
- Turkey (or Ham) – Thaw well in advance if buying a frozen bird and brine, then bring up to room temp before roasting
- Cranberry sauce (for many uses, like our festive appetizer vegan thanksgiving-style mashed potatoes)
- Brussels sprouts, carrots, peas
- Little Potatoes (of course! Here’s where to buy them)
- Dinner rolls
- Pie, whipped cream
- Cookies, candy, chocolates to pass around
- Wine – red and white
- Sparkling apple juice
- Sparkling and soda water
- Cocktails and beer
- Coffee, tea
- Oven mitts
- Turkey baster, kitchen twine, trussing pins
- Potato masher (for our hazelnut mashed potatoes, or 10-minute garlic parsley mashed potatoes)
- Tea towels
- Rolling pin
- Pie pans
- Pastry brush
- Kitchen scissors
- Serving bowls
- Serving spoons and forks
- Meat thermometer
- Roasting tray
- Carving fork and (sharpened!) knife
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- Aluminum foil
- Plastic wrap
- Parchment paper and/or silicone baking sheets
- Ziploc bags for leftovers
- Holiday decorations, flower arrangement, and candles (you can even use our tips for how to set your Thanksgiving table)
- Salt and pepper
- Butter dish and knife
- Linen tablecloth
- Cloth napkins
- Silverware – Polish in advance if using sterling
- Plates, bowls, cups, saucers
- Glasses – water glasses and wine goblets
- Water pitcher
- Gravy boat (ask Grandma she will have one )
- A relaxed smile!
WHAT’S ON YOUR HOLIDAY FEASTING CHECKLIST? SHARE IT WITH US?
To get more tips on nutritious eating, plus find new delicious and healthy recipes, sign up for our monthly newsletter. And join the social media conversation! If you have questions, comments or quips, don’t hesitate to get in touch: [email protected].
Did you like what you read?